CALL FOR PAPERS: Radical Democracy Conference
April 4 – April 5, 2011
Paper Abstracts Submission Deadline: January 31
Notification Date: February 18
Full Papers Deadline: March 21
- Promises, limits and critiques of the concept of radical democracy
- Ancient democratic thought in relation to modernity and post-modernity
- Technology and the mediums of (radical) democracy
- Consensus building/agonistic democracy
- Engendering radical democracy: race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, class
- Post-Leftist democratic politics
- Radical Democracy and anarchism
- Relationship between radical democracy and traditional regime forms such as oligarchy, liberalism, republicanism, socialism, communism
- Exploring the relationship between radical democracy and key concepts in political theory such as: participatory/direct democracy; agency and autonomy; state and nation; capitalism; imperialism; anarchy and authority, dictatorship and tyranny; sacrifice and violence; revolution and reform
Interested participants should submit a one-page abstract (up to 300 words) that includes institutional affiliation, academic level, and contact information by Monday, January 31.
You will receive a notification of our decision by Friday, February 18. Full conference papers will be due by Monday, March 21.
Please SUBMIT your abstract at radicaldemocracy @ newschool.edu.